Thursday, July 2, 2009

Taylor's Travels: NOrWAY!

I met Steffi on the street in Morocco. A beautiful Norwegian, thought she was playin’ in the majors while I rode the pine in AAA—so cute and confident. Lucky for me she was a sucker for lame jokes and Moroccan bracelets; cause we hit it off, kept in touch, and I thought, Hell, Norway’s on the way home. Sort of.

It’s Norwegian

Norway is an awesome country, and Steffi was anxious to show me everything. Like when we saw deer cross the road one evening, she was floored that I was able to witness this unique Norwegian animal (obviously the U.S is just Hummers and high rises).

Or at breakfast the first morning, when I grabbed a knife to cut some cheese (grow up), she stopped me. Wait! Wait! Wait! She zipped around the kitchen opening and slamming drawers like she was late for a flight and couldn’t find her passport.

Ooo! Here it is!


She held up a cheese slicer (don’t know what its called in English, looks like a cake server with a slit at the base you drag across the cheese).

It’s a -- Ostehøvel! It’s Norwegian.


I felt bad saying it, as she held out the slicer like it was the Holy Grail…

Uh, we have that at home.

What? !
Her heart sank.

While Steffi was a bit naïve in thinking certain things were only found in Norway (learned the phrase burst your bubble too well), she showed me more than I could have hoped to see. Fjords, moose, and reindeer—the place was all that and a side of whale.

Lights On

Steffi didn’t realize it, but all she needed to do to carve a spot for Norway in my heart was draw the blinds. Not only did mountains dip the MLB’s steroid supply and bathe in green paint, but natural light glowed 24/7 to show them off. I couldn’t’ get over it. Steffi had grown up with it, so she was over it. But at 11:30pm, cruising through Vigelandsparken park after sneaking a peak at a Neal Young concert in Oslo, I explained my fascination to her. Imagine, in my 24 years, I’ve never seen natural light at this hour. Never, it’s always been dark. And suddenly, I’m taking flashless photos of statues and it’s nearly midnight.

She began to see my point as the trip continued (not much choice, I wouldn’t shut up about it). Day trips could start at three, no worries about running out of light. Feeling bloated after a late dinner? Go for a paddle. A few times we surfed til one in the morning. As we got out of the water, people would just be showing up.

Stand Up and Get Shot Down

Most of our time was spent in Hoddevik, a small village of about 100 people that sits in the cleavage of two green mountains and hugs a white sand beach. It was there that Steffi managed a three story white house turned B&B/surf shop/playground for the budding Norwegian surf community. We spent most days playing on the grass—mastering the Indo Board and slack line, maybe some beers to test our balance even more. Or skating down the single road that ran the length of town. When there were waves, we surfed. And when there wasn’t, I was keen on trying the Stand Up Paddle board—a twelve-foot surfboard you stand on and paddle like a Venetian gondola. I’d resisted the temptation to try it back home, fearing the ridicule from friends, as SUPs are a nuisance in the line up. But what the hell? I was in Norway, thousands of miles away from judgment.

The first day I took it out, I walked awkwardly down the path with the beast on my head, Steffi right behind me.

You’re lucky you already have a girl here, cause you look so gay right now.


Thanks babe.

Lil Lessons
Strange traveling with someone though, 24/7 with one person after five months solo. I’m surprised Steffi was able to put up with me for two weeks, that she didn’t just kick me out of the car and tell me to ride a reindeer back to Oslo. We made it work though, learning about each other and ourselves along the way. She learned to be friendlier to strangers (Scandinavians are more closed off than Americans) and stress less; I learned to take photos vertically and that I shouldn’t pee with the door open. Things we’ll carry with us.


Norway was sick. Loved it. Such an unexpected detour from my Africa mission, but exactly why I love traveling, why loose itineraries allow for the greatest experiences. And the fact that I got to see one of the most expensive places in the world for less money than I spent for running a red light made it that much better.

As much as it pains me to say it, that was the end. The trip is done and I’m back home to same old same old. No clue as to the setting of my next adventure, but after less than a week back home, it can’t come soon enough.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Idol !!!

I dont know what I am doing working in Holland !!!!

See you in the next trip with Joaco.

We are thinking of buying a boat and make a trip around indo, aus and polonesia !!

hug

lucas